25 June 2008

Quick Update

Folks,

My knee really hurt during my last Disney trip.... too much early running and walking through the parks on flat cheap sandals.

During our last race (SOAR) my knee was acting up, in fact when my bike broke and we made it a one speed with 5.5 hours left to ride, I really chewed up my knee. I over drove the gear I was in (middle middle) on climbs, lots of out of the saddle, I was smoked and the knee was barkin'. (more on that later). The knee was so miserable that I only trotted / walked on our last 1.5 mile foot movement uphill to the rappel at the end of the day.

I could not move it much the next day on the way back home.

I have not run since the race.

Today I saw an Ortho.... very nice. Got some X rays...
His diagnosis was 'Classic Tendinitis, predisposed to it by my knee bone structure'. (thank god)
He said my knee caps are misaligned and I am prone to this condition. [Evidently my self medicating Tylenol 800mg about every hour during marches and field maneuvers kept the swelling down in my former life. :)]


He gave me a shot of cortisone, claiming I have a 50% chance of the shot working.
He told me to rest the knee; ice it when done working out; take advil, and gently ease back into training.

I see him 6 AUG for followup, but he believes I can race at the end of AUG.

He and John recommended I consider using ellipticals...


what a sigh of relief.. I was worried I would have some kind of 'real' problem.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Rob - bummer - you are to young for this. Knees were poorly designed. I hope you feel better soon!
Carol