23 July 2007

Strange Coincidence

So I went into my LBS the other day (as I do all too frequently) and Jason, the mechanic/owner, looks at me in a very concerned way and says, "Dude, how's your bike?"

I can only assume that since I walked in empty handed that this time he thought I had wrecked so badly that there were no remaining parts large enough to carry in. At the time however, this didn't occur to me and I just shrugged and told him that I needed a few tubes after hitting a few of the rocks in Hartshorne a bit too hard.

He nodded understandingly, pulled a few boxes from the back, and started ringing up the tubes. I passed him my card and as the machine was processing the sale, he says casually, "So...are you gonna be upgrading that road bike of yours anytime soon?"

That's a good mechanic. And probably a better salesman.

He knows me, he knows my bike(s), and he knows when the two don't exactly match.

So, I tell him that yes, I am looking to get a better ride sometime soon...something with a carbon fiber frame, I think.

"Nice," he says. "Have you considered Giant?" And then he grabs the 2007 Giant catalog, opens it up right to the page with the specs for Rob's new hotness.

Small world, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're winning the lotto when?