03 September 2007

Was this done intentionally?

I am going to skew a bit towards the white and nerdy focus of the site for this post, and away from the racing for a change...just a warning. Skip this if you aren't interested.

So, I spent a decent chunk of this holiday weekend watching (again) the entire run of Firefly episodes. I do this every six months or so as the mood moves me. Every so often I'll catch something that I haven't spotted in the past and this time was no exception.

The screen capture on the left is from the excellent episode "Trash" and occurs at the 21:40 mark of the show. Jayne is opening up a panel on an automated garbage bin so that its navigational system (don't ask...just watch the gorram show if you don't understand) can be reprogrammed. What caught my eye is the computer display to his left. I mean, honestly, who puts a computer display on the outside of a flying dumpster? But the real point of interest is that the monitor pretty clearly shows that the dumpster is running either Windows NT or Windows 2000. You may need to download the picture and blow it up, but trust me...it's high quality Redmond-produced gos se.
There are three windows open, five programs running in the task bar (win2k didn't have application stacking) and the recycle bin is in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, right above the start button.

This proved several things to me:
  • Even with several hundred years of time to continue developing, Win2K is the best and most stable product that Microsoft has yet, or will ever produce
  • Jayne is the one doing the reprogramming. If he can hack Windows, then by god, anyone can
  • Even with a few centuries to refine their product, MS products are still only good for taking out the garbage
Maybe I'll go and check this weekend, but even with all his monitors, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Mr Universe wouldn't be caught dead running Windows. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Well that is unfortunate. It would have been more unfortunate if it was running linux and Linux Genuine Advantage-- http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

:)