01 September 2007

Nothing says Adventure racing like Spontaneous Pain

So, Rob has recently sent an email to a few of us with a comment along the lines of, "one of my primary goals is to run an adventure race (ed note: presumably a sprint) without doing any specific preparation." Along these lines, Rob, I humbly offer the following submission:

I just found out that my local bike club is holding their annual century ride tomorrow. I am going to do it.

That's 100 miles. Without any specific preparation.

With that said, it's not like I am going into this totally cold. The Krista was about 30 miles on the mountain bike, carrying much more gear, and going up a mountain several times. This ride is on my road bike, with very little gear, and coastal NJ doesn't have much in the way of hills to speak of. All things considered, this will just be about pacing myself.

It should be fun. Riding a century has been a goal of mine since I got my bike, so tomorrow I'll get to check that off my list of things to do before I die. I have done a decent amount of road riding this summer, mostly on my own, so I am looking forward to doing some serious drafting on this ride.

I am taking a break from prepping my bike and the rest of my gear right now to post this. The ride leaves at 7 am from Brookdale Community college, so I'll need to be out of the house by about 6:15.

I have plenty of food, and just to make sure, I am packing my PBJs tonight so that everything is ready for tomorrow.

I'll post again tomorrow once I finish the ride. Wish me luck.

No comments: